Skip to Main Content
High School Student Checklists
Sophomore in High School
- Create a calendar with test dates and registration deadlines and campus visitation events.
- Meet regularly with your school guidance counselor to discuss your college plans.
- Take a challenging course load to prepare for Boise State’s College Admission Core.
- Consider taking AP courses.
- Build your vocabulary and writing skills by reading a variety of materials.
- Be involved in extracurricular activities in and out of school, and keep a list of your activities and involvements.
- Research careers which are in line with your interests and talents.
- Go on a campus visit, to see what daily life is like at Boise State.
- Ask your college friends questions when they are home for the weekend, break, or the holidays.
- Research scholarship opportunities. Knowing about scholarships now saves you time in the long run.
- Take the PSAT in the fall. The PSAT is required to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship program. Plus taking the PSAT will help to prepare you for the SAT.
- Prepare for the SAT exam the summer after your sophomore year.
- Keep your grades up – remember that colleges look at your cumulative high school GPA.
Junior in High School
- Make a list of the top 10 qualities you want in a college (academics, sports, location, clubs, etc).
- Prepare and take the ACT and/or SAT.
- Meet with your high school counselor to learn about the Boise State deadlines, requirements and scholarships.
- Attend college and career fairs in your area.
- Request information from colleges of interest.
- Make a list of the scholarships you plan to apply for and the application deadlines.
- Visit college campuses. Schedule a visit to Boise State.
- Know what your high school’s process is for ordering transcripts and taking days off to visit campus.
- Don’t forget to make time for academics and down time.
Senior in High School
- Check with your high school’s career center to see when colleges are visiting your school.
- Set up a comprehensive college visit to tour campus, meet with faculty, and talk to current students. Schedule a visit to Boise State.
- Apply to colleges early. Apply to Boise State as early as September of your senior year.
- Be aware of scholarship deadlines. (The application deadline for Boise State scholarship consideration is February 15th.) View Boise State’s scholarship information.
- Review the financial aid process.